Can I Leave The Airport During A Layover?

Mar 02, 2011 | Comments 281

Planet+Earth+010 Can I Leave The Airport During A Layover?A lot of people want to know: how do you know when you can leave the airport on a layover? For most layovers, you can leave the transit area in between flights, as long as you go through customs and immigration on the way out, and of course you’ll have to pass through security again on your way back into the airport. However, some tickets may not permit you to leave the airport. Always check beforehand with your airline to see if your ticket allows you to leave the transit area.

You will also have to check ahead of time to see if you’ll need a visa to enter the destination that you’re arriving at. Check out our widget (right hand side of the blog) for a quick check to see if you’d need to apply for a visa.

Take into account that for many countries, you will have to go through Customs and Immigration upon your first point of entry, regardless of whether you’re connecting.

Another thing to be aware of is your luggage. If you have a layover, always check beforehand with your airline to see if you can check your luggage through to your final destination. Many lengthy layovers (often times up to 24 hours) are actually considered a connection, so often times you can check it all the way through. In a lot of airports, you will sometimes have to pick up and re-check your luggage. If you need to pick up or hold onto your luggage, you can always leave it in the airport at a locker or Left Luggage facility. You can find out where these facilities are at the airport’s website. If the airport does not offer storage for luggage, you can always leave them in a cheap hotel room while you explore the city.

Always check with the information desk about the best (and if applicable, least expensive way) to get out of the airport and around the city. If you are not familiar with the area, or the language, budget for plenty of extra time to get back to the airport, in case of delays or navigational errors. Also, take into account traffic, and distance when computing the time that you have to see the sights.

For additional layover tips, check out “How Much Time Do You Need To Leave The Airport,” Catching Connecting Flights: What You Need To Know and “Tips For Making The Most Out Of Your Layover.”

Filed Under: airportimmigrationlayoverluggagesecuritytravelvisa

Tags: airportgeneralimmigrationlayoverluggagestopover

RSSComments (281)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Arjun Kartha says:

Lovely article! Just curious — I have a 18 hour layover in Heathrow on my way from New Delhi to New York (I have a US visa).

I can’t seem to figure out whether I can exit the airport, have a look at the city — and be right back for my flight without a visa?

Thanks!

• Jim says:

Of course you need no visa for the UK!

• Lloyd says:

Sorry Jim, I disagree. Having a US visa doesnt give rights to enter other countries. I am a Indian citizen with a US-greencard and I had issues getting out of the airport in London for sightseeing during a 16hr-layover.

• U D says:

Hey Lloyd,
          Do you mind telling why you were not allowed to enter? I came across this forum and 2 people have posted that they got a free visa to visit london.

Thanks

• PPOOOOPPP says:

I disagree. that could have never happened because i am indian and have a US greencard and i got out fine on a 18 hour layover

• mel says:

if you are a US passport holder, yes you can exit the airport without a pre-arranged visa.

Holding a US visa is not sufficient to enter UK. The basis is passport and not visa.

Thanks,

2. Kieran says:

Hi,

I have a 15 hour overnight layover in Moscow’s Domodedovo International Airport travelling from Dubai to Kiev, Ukraine. I’ll arrive at 11pm and leave at 2pm the next day.

I am an Australian citizen, and have a visa to travel into Ukraine, but I am wondering if it will be worth it to try and leave the airport (for some fresh air at least)..
    and if so, will I need a visa for the couple of hours? and is there a massive risk in trying to catch some shut-eye in the airport?

Also this website is amazing!

• nek says:

youll need full, pre-arranged russian entry visa no matter how short. not sure cost for an aussie but for me (uk)it was £150, not worth it for hours imho

only exception in whole of russia to this is if arriving via sea to st petersberg, where you are allowed a few days visa free

3. Ryan says:

Hello,

I purchased a flight from Korea to US with a layover in Japan from United Airlines. But when I looked closer at the itinerary the flight from Korea to Japan is provided by a different airline but from Japan to US its provided by United even though I purchased the entire flight from one airline.

Which airline am I suppose to contact in order for me to know if I may travel outside the airport in Japan?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Jay says:

Ryan, you contact the airline that is the marketing carrier: which is the flt # assigned to the first leg of your itinerary.

4. linda says:

I have a layover for 15 hours in Frankfurt Germany, I am a US citizen, can I leave the airport without getting a visa. What is required for me to leave and return the same day?

• warren currier says:

It seems:

“Euro-zone countries do not require a visa for less than 90 day visit”

My wife and I flew from Boston to Zurich and continued on to Belgium at the end of Oct and early Nov 2012. We were bumping around cities and towns for about ten days and no one ever asked for any documentation but for our passports at the landing in Switzerland on the return route through Montreal.

5. penpen says:

I have 6hrs layover at Santiago Chile airport.
    I want to go check put the city if not too risky to come back for my next flight, domestic flight in Chile. Any recommendation? I have US passport. Thanks

6. Em says:

I have a 4 hour layover in the heathrow from sfo. Then going to prague. Can I leave security and meet up with a friend on the other side of security for an hour or two and make it back through easily?

7. anna says:

Hi,

I have a 12 hour layover in Atlanta coming in from Johannesburg and onward to San Francisco. I am a US citizen. I planned it that way so I could go to a hotel and get some sleep in-between flights. Any issues with my checked luggage going straight thru to San Fran or do I have to pick it up in Atlanta and keep it with me.

• Ritesh says:

Yep! It should not be an issue and your luggage should reach SF.

• Laura says:

You’ll have to pick it up when you touch down in the USA, clear customs, and then recheck it. You must always clear customs as soon as you touch down in the USA.

8. Amani A. says:

Hello there, I am an American citizen flying from Jordan to California. My connecting flight is in London Heathrow Airport and my layover is about 20 hours. The airline I am flying with is American Airlines. Will I be allowed to leave the airport to meet up with a few friends in London??

• Ritesh says:

Since you’re an American citizen, you should not require a visa to leave the airport or go anywhere in the UK for that matter.

• Stacy says:

Hello, I am also leaving from Jordan to the US and have a 23 hour layover in the UK. I read that I would have maybe call the airline for some reason?? Would that be for luggage purposes?? Also, the hotel in the airport terminals… I have friends that live in the UK on a student visa, would they be able to come and visit me in the hotel?? Appreciate a fast reply. Thank you :)

9. kathy says:

i am a uk citizen travelling to South Carolina. I have a 11 hour layover in philadelphia and wld like to know whether i am permitted to leave the airport to sightsee during my stop over period. thank you for your help

• Ritesh says:

I’m not an expert but to my knowledge, a UK citizen does not require a visa “just to” enter the USA and vice versa. There may be certain conditions where you “might” require a visa, but for 11 hours, I reckon you shouldn’t need one.

Hope that helps.

10. Edz says:

Hi,

I will eb travelling back to Manila from Houston and then Los Angeles then Hong Kong to Manila. I have a 13 hour Lay-over in LA. Do I need to check-out my baggae and check-in again for my international flight via Cathay Pacific?

11. Joe says:

I have a 22 hour layover in Sao Paulo en route to Santiago. Without a VISA may I check into the airport hotel to wait for my connecting flight? Or if I check into the hotel must I first get a visa even though I am just on an extended layover?
    I am a US Citizen/passport holder
    traveling on TAM from Orlando.
    I have a disability and use hand crutches to walk and have leg braces as well.
    Travel is March 8 (layover 22 hours) then connect next day to my destination Santiago, Chile. Thankss!!

12. Eleonora says:

Hello, I’m from Croatia but now I’m studing in Czech Republic so I have visa for that. Soon I’ll go to Finland and I have layover in Paris for 8 hours and I was thinking about to go and see Eiffel Tower during that time, do I need to have visa for that?

13. klein nnani says:

Hi i have a 4 hour layover in spain…i was wondering if this would be enough time to leave the airport…get a bite to eat and return?

14. Renee says:

Hi there

I am a New Zealander living in the USA on a student visa. I’m flying to Ibiza, Spain with an 11 hour stop over in Madrid. Anyone know if I’ll be allowed to leave the airport? I don’t need a visa to enter Spain of that makes any difference.
    Thanks

• Max says:

I have never heard of an airline ticket not permitting you to leave the transit hall. They just care to have you back for the connecting flight, and if not, you may forfeit your ticket and your checked baggage will not be placed on the connecting flight.

If you have a New Zealand Passport and you can show your connecting ticket to the immigration officer in Madrid, and the officer thinks you have sufficient time to make your connection, they will let you into the country.

I am Canadian, and I love exploring when I have a layover, I have only ever been asked for an ongoing ticket, most immigration officers are friendly and will even suggest ways to get places…

15. scott illman says:

my girlfriend is russian and we are going to mexico for holidays from the uk where she has a visa for another two years.
    we are stopping in Miami for two hours on the way there and in dallas for three hours on the way back.
    Does she need a visa??

• mel says:

Your russian girlfriend needs a visa to fly to Miami. Even if it is just a stop over in any US territory a visa is required.

16. Brenda says:

My friends and I are flying from Halifax to Amsterdam. On our return we have a stopover of 19 hours in Iceland. I thought we could leave the airport and see a bit of Iceland, but someone told my friends that we wouldn’t be able to do this. Would you be able to clarify this for me?

17. Kristi says:

A friend and I have a layover in Hong Kong for just over 8 hours, we are traveling from the US on our way to Malaysian Borneo. Does anyone know the requirements to leave an cruise around the city? Do we have enough time to see anything?

• Darby says:

I left the airport on a layover in Hong Kong, took a bus to a mall and bought a watch! I can’t remember how many hours I had….maybe 6 or so.

18. mariano says:

soy dominicana tengo una visa de turista a alemania y tengo una escala de 8 horas en madrid queria saber si puedo salir del aereopuerto de madrid barajas a dar un paseo. gracias

19. Marc Broudo says:

I have a 11 hour layover in Shanghai. Do I need a visa if I leave the airport. Also, is there an airport hotel at the airport which I can stay if a visa is required and I do not obtain one?

• Amit Talwar says:

Hi….
      I am an Indian passport holder and plan to travel from India to Japan with layover at Shanghai airport for 22hrs. am travelling through China Eastern flight( New Delhi ->Shanghai -> Nagoya).I think its quiet long layover so I want to go out and explore Shanghai. Am I allowed to leave the airport? Will temporary visa be required?If yes, will it be processed at Shanghai airport or need to be applied in advance.How to apply if required in advance?

• Tanya says:

Hi Marc,
      You need a visa to visit China and yes there is a small rooms you can stay in at the airport in Beijing Im not sure about Shanghai but the rooms go fast.

• Elaine says:

I have an 8 hour layover and my Travel Agent said I would need a Visa to leave the airport – I think you must have to go through immigration. I like you would like something to do.

20. Agnes Guzman says:

Hello there! My ticket itinerary is from Manila to Los Angeles via Hawaiian Airlines and I have a 34-hr layover in Honolulu. Can I leave the airport and stay overnight in a hotel during the entire stopover? Do I have to bring with me my checked-in luggage? Please advice. Thank you!

• mel says:

34-hr is long enough to hang around the airport and for sure the airline or the immigration officers will allow you to go out from the airport of not having the risk of missing your next flight.

I would assumed that you have a valid entry to USA so yes you can go out.

Normally, if you are flying with the same airline or partner airlines, they have already tagged your luggage from Manila all to the way to LA.

Therefore, you do not need to take your luggage. If this is not the case, you can deposit your luggage at the airport. They normally have deposit counter where you can leave your luggage safely.

Thanks,

• Jean says:

Hi Agnes. did they allow you to leave the airport? im also from Manila To Vegas and have a 20 hrs layover in Honolulu via hawaiian Airline with a fiancee visa. Do you bring your checked in luggage outside?

Hope you can ans me,. Thanks in advance

• Nino says:

Same question! MNL-HNL-SFO. Does anybody know if they let us leave the airport? I want to see Honolulu even just for a day.

21. Laura says:

Hi,
    I’m flying from Ho Chi Minh City to London with a connecting flight in Beijing. Just wondered whether it’s possible to leave the airport, stay in Beijing for a few days and get the trans-Siberian back to Moscow? (ie, not take the connecting flight to London) It’s actually cheaper to get this flight than to get one from London – Ho Chi Minh city – Beijing.
    If I get a visa for China, would there be any problem with missing the connecting flight on purpose?

22. Karen says:

Hi,
    I am traveling to Ethiopia via Turkey, with a 2 hr layover…do I need a visa for Turkey??…I hope to check my luggage all the through.

• Layover Guide Staff says:

With 2 hours you won’t be leaving the airport, so you wouldn’t need a visa. But for anyone with visa questions about entering a country, check our via requirements widget on the right hand side of the page.

23. rayana says:

hii
    i am traveling from bombay to boston via zurich?? i have an 11 hours layover at zurich. i have a us visa but dont have time to apply for a swiss visa. canm i go out of the airport at zurich??? if so, how???
    i am an indian national

Hi Rayana,

I think you are out of luck, you would need a visa to enter Switzerland if you are travelling on an Indian passport. THe one exception would be if you happen to hold a resident permit for one of the other EU or EFTA countries,,,

24. Max says:

The UK is a country participating in the US Visa Waiver program so you also need an ESTA (Electronic System Travel Authorization) number that must be apply for BEFORE you leave the UK.

You get it here https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and it is usually good for 2 years.

25. Dawn says:

I am a US citizen with a US passport going to Australia through China with an 18 hour layover. Can I leave the airport to explore the city and get a hotel room?

26. kity says:

I have an 8 hour layout in portugal. (from us to spain) Is there any point in trying to leave the airport and trying to see some of the area ?

27. Gabby says:

I have a 6-hour layover in Helsinki and I was wondering if it’s a small enough airport for me to leave and do a whirlwind tour of the city. My connecting flight is to Brussels, all on FinnAir.

Any advice?

• Max says:

If you are legally allowed into Finland you may enter, I assume you are based on your question, however, bear in mind that you do need about 90 mins for security and so on, assuming you have checked your bags thru so you do not need to deal with checking bags on your return.

A bus to the city takes about 30 – 40 mins, I think, so you have say 80 mins travelling and i don’t know how often the busses leave the airport, so it is a bit tight for a tour, but certainly enough time to go walkabout and grab a meal…

28. Ken says:

Hi, I m having a long layover in Brussels and another next month in Zurich. I am travelling on a Cameroon passport as a permanent resident of the UK. Will I be allowed to leave the airport for fresh air and a bite without a Schengen visa? Thanks
    Ken

29. Nikki says:

Family of 4 travelling to Melbourne, with layover in Singapore. Want to leave airport, would we be allowed. We have uk passports.

30. Connor says:

I am a US citizen flying from Dubai to Egypt. I have a layover in Bahrain and want to know if I can leave the airport to explore for a bit then head back. is that allowed?

• mel says:

Yes you can. As a US passport holder, you are allowed to get a visa on arrival at the airport for a fee. Not sure how much but I think it is not worth for few hours of stay.

31. Rikard says:

Hi I am travelling to the states this summer and want to extend my layover in Newark to around 7-9 hour so I can meet a friend in NYC. I have a valid Green Card and travel with a Swedish/Euro passport. My flight finishes in Atlanta so I will not be leaving america after i pass immigration in Newark. Will I be okay to leave Newark? And what would happen to my checked luggage during my layover?

• Rikard says:

This would be with a United Airlines flight.

• Max says:

That would be fine to leave the airport, however, remember when entering the USA you need to collect all your bags at the point of arrival, clear customs and then drop them on the flight connections belt if they are checked through to a further destination.

If I recall correctly, United have a connections belt just outside customs at Newark, and they will scan you luggage tag there and put it on the belt, without too much delay.

• Rikard says:

Thanks for the help Max! I remember having to re-check my bags at some US airports in the past. So I can do that then leave and not have to carry my check-in luggage around NYC :D

32. Mena says:

Hey..
    I am an egyption citizen who studies at Montreal, Canada. I will be having a connective flight at Heathrow airport for 12 hrs and i really wanted to see my best friend during that time…also how do i know if my ticket allows me to go out or not! Thank you

33. Max says:

No you will not be able to leave the Airport in the United Kingdom unless you also hold a UK Visa. Egyptian citizens are considered so called “Visa Nationals” in the UK and require a tourist visa for entry as you suggest.

Refer to: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/visa/#

34. REXIE says:

WE HAVE A FRIEND RETURNING FROM NORWAY TO RENO VIA SEATTLE WITH A 3 HOUR LAYOVER. CAN WE GO VISIT HER DURING THAT LAYOVER IN SEATTLE. WE DO NOT INTEND TO LEAVE THE AIRPORT

• Max says:

Yes. She does need to clear immigration, and drop her bags on the connections belt before meeting you guys.

35. Simon Milham says:

I have a 10-hour stopover in Las Vegas.
    I am a British passport holder who will be returning to the UK from Hawaii.
    Can I leave Las Vegas airport for a few hours?
    Many thanks – love this website.

• Max says:

Sure… especially since the flight from Hawaii to Las Vegas is a domestic one and you are therefore already admitted to the US.

I would suggest that you check your bags through to your final destination in Hawaii so you do not need to deal with that on your return to the airport.

There are lots of shuttles from the airport to the strip.

• Simon Milham says:

Max,
        That is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply. Now all I need to do is to marry off my daughter to an American guy while we’re there!
        Bless you.

36. Jo says:

Hi I am travelling from Manchester to Vegas via washington dulles on saturday. I have a 5 hour layover, can i leave the airport? I am travelling with United and have a valid esta?

Thanks

• Max says:

Yes, technically you can, but 5 hours is not a long time in DC, unless you are just thinking of walking around in fresh air. Dulles is a big airport, and it is about 30 miles from things like the Washington Memorial if thats what you were thinking of visiting.

Immigration in Dulles can take ages too especially if you have a bunch of large aircraft arriving at the same time.

37. Hala says:

Hello, I’m traveling to Cairo from Italy, I leave from Florence to Rome, then have a transit for 10 hours ( Alitalia airlines), before taking my second plane to Cairo from Rome.
    I have a valid 6 months multiple entry visa, can I Leave the airport at Rome, then return before my flight at night?
    I’m an Egyptian citizen if it makes a difference.
    Thanks for you help!
    Hala

• Max says:

Assuming by valid 6-month multiple entry you mean a Shengen visa, if that is the case, you will be able to leave the airport, you will probably need to show your onward boarding pass/ticket as well as a bagage receipt showing bagage checked through.

38. Rajiv says:

Hi,

I am an Indian national with a US visa traveling from Boston to Delhi with a 14 hours layover at Heathrow? IS there any possibility of getting a 24 hour landslide transit visa on arrival?

39. Erzsibet says:

My fiance is going to have a layover from Paris to Istanbul. The lay over is over 24 hours and wondering if there is a hotel he can stay without having to get a visa. He is from Turkiye

40. Maurice says:

Hi I’m US citizen and I have a layover at Dallas/ft. worth then going to Chicago, I’m wondering if I can leave the airport to look around I’m flying with American Airlines I don’t if I could

• Max says:

Of course you can as a US Citizen on a domestic flight… however, you should check your bags thru and make sure you have enough time, I would not bother if you have less than 3 hours. More if you plan on going somewhere other than wondering around in the immediate vicinity of the airport…

• Max says:

Also a good idea to have the boarding pass for your connection in hand, as that saves you having to go to the airline desk in DFW

• Maurice says:

Well it is a 7 hour layover and the flight departs from Leon, Mexico but thank you it is just that I didn’t know if I had to wait on a room the whole time, and other question is do American Airlines give you your luggage or does it have to stay at the airport?

• Max says:

Well, it’t a bit more complicated, given your inbound is from an international location, so on arrival in DFW you would need to clear immigration into the USA, no problem if you are a US Citizen, but there are VERY LONG lineups at DFW from time to time, so unless you are a GOES member you could wait for a while, then you MUST collect your bags from the Mexico flight, and you should recheck them at the connections belt with AA directly after you clear customs, or if you do not hold a boarding pass for your Chicago flight, you need to get that from the AA connections desk.

Only after having done all of that, can you leave the airport. I would check with the AA folks how much time you would need to clear security when you return for your onward flight, they usually have a good idea, and then work all that into your planning.

41. Andrew says:

Does anyone have any experience with Cairo Airport. I have a flight from London to Johannesburg and booked it with an 18 hour layover with the hope that I can explore Cairo for the day. I have read conflicting reports about the ability to leave luggage at the airport rather than lugging it to the pyramids ;-)
    Any insight would be appreciated!

• Hala says:

Hi Andrew,

I’m from Cairo and I can advice this:
      1- Don’t move around with any luggage, its too difficult, doesn’t your airline take it to Johannesburg for you? most airlines that connects at any airport takes it from the departure to arrival point, so check if they will do that, otherwise, look for any hotel where you can leave it at till you’re finished.
      Another thing, Cairo is so so huge and really crowded, the airport is at the north and the pyramids the south, so reallt the complete 2 ends of Cairo, depending on the time you arrive the traffic could be between bad to unbearable, after the pyramids go to khan elkhalili and visit the area there, then it should be easy to go to the airport from this place ( between 30 minutes to an hour and half depending on the time).
      last but not least, if you don’t have your boarding pass from London ( the second plane I mean), you MUST go there at least 2 to 3 hours earlier, an hour will not be enough to get you through fast enough to reach the plane ( my friend missed her flight because of that), and I almost lost mine once due to the same reason.
      Good luck and hope you enjoy it here!
      P.S, we have regular “”Friday protests”now, so keep that in mind, as there will be some places you can’t reach, and other places you will need to go around.
      Hala

• Andrew says:

Hala,
        Thanks for the unbelievably quick and comprehensive response. Greatly appreciated.
        I will check with Egypt Air but was under the impression that if the layover is too long that they require that it be picked-up but hopefully I’m wrong as that would solve all of my problems, at least as it relates to baggage.
        Thanks for the other insight as well. The flight gets in at around 5am and leaves at 11:30pm and it is on Sunday the 23rd of December so I’m hoping to avoid significant traffic but will certainly take all of your advice to heart.
        Thanks again.

• Hala says:

You’re more than welcome, the arrival and departure times are actually very good, so you shouldn’t get stock in traffic, also Sunday is usually bit quick as many shops close.
          Most public places open from 8 or 9 am, so I suggest going near the pyramids, enjoy some nice breakfast, then start the fun!
          Best of luck.
          Hala

• Lynne says:

Dear Hala

I was wondering if it’s possible to give me further advice to what you have already given to Andrew. I will have a 10.5 hour layover in Cairo (from Paris to Johannesburg) and would love to a glimpse into your interesting city (incl. seeing the pyramids!). So first of all do you think that would be sufficient time to leave, visit and come back to the airport on time? (Arriving 05:45, departing 16:15 on a Sunday) I have found a “Cairo Stopover Transit Tour from Cairo Airport” saying they would adjust the tour to my flight times, but I’m still scared to miss my second flight!
            The second thing is I read contrasting information on whether I would need a prearranged visa (I am South African) – some websites say if it’s less than 24 hours then no, others yes if it’s outside the South Sinai area I would need one (does Cairo and the pyramids fall under the Sinai area?)
            And lastly, if the fare conditions state no stopovers allowed – does that mean I’m not allowed to leave the airport during my layover? I would appreciate it greatly if you could answer any of the above questions!

Thanks, Lynne

42. kris says:

what about if i have 6hours stop over in singapore, can i get out of the airport? atleast just outside to meet my friends? im flying from greece to singapore and singapore to philippines. im holding a philippine passport but has a schengen visa.

• Max says:

Citizens of the Philippines with valid Philippine passports do not need visa’s to visit singapore for tourist purposes. You may therefore leave the airport, and enter Singapore. 6 hours is quite short, so you really do not want to go far from the airport, and of course make sure that you check your bags through to their final destination when you check in for your flights in Greece.

Bear in mind that Singapore immigration officers may want to see your boarding pass for your onward flight, so you must make sure you have that before trying to enter Singapore.

43. Anna says:

Hi,
    I’m Canadian and will be traveling to Warsaw (Delta) with 2 connections: Boston and Paris… The connection in Boston is over-10-hours and I was thinking of exploring the city… I don’t think there should be a problem with exiting and re-entering the airport… but will I have to pick up and re-check my baggage in Boston or can the baggage be checked in all the way to Poland (next day arrival)?
    Thanks!

Hi Anna,

I am also Canadian, and I do that a lot when connecting in the USA. If you are flying from a LARGE city in the Canada (Vancouver, Toronto etc.) with a US connection you generally clear US customs IN CANADA. THat makes the flight to the US a domestic one, and your plane would arrive at a domestic terminal in the USA with no customs or immigration.

Unless you are changing airlines that do not have an interline agreement in Boston, then you may be able to check your bags through, and you would not need to collect them in boston. You would need to call your airline and check with them though.

If you are flying from a smaller airport in Canada (say like London Ontario) you need to clear customs in the USA and in this case you would need to collect your bags in Boston and put them on the connections belt – again assuming interline airlines and one ticket.

Max

44. rupinder says:

i am an indian citizen having schenegen visa issued by netherland embassy.during my outbound austrian airline flight from delhi to amsterdam , i have a layover of 9 hrs at vienna..can i go out of airport and take a short city tour during that time…

• mel says:

Logically, you can. The provision in the shengen visa is that you should get the visa from the Shengen territory with your longest stay. In this case, I would assumed that your longest stay will be Netherlands.

Therefore, this means you can enter Austria even with with a visa issued by Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

45. Janel says:

hello! I’m a Singaporean passport holder on an Australian student visa. I have a China Southern airlines flight from London to Perth, with a 15-hour layover in France. Am i allowed to leave the airport during that time? I don’t mind collecting my luggage and checking it in again, because I know that will be the case. I want to see the Eiffel tower. Can someone help me?

46. Taufique says:

Hi,I am a Bangladeshi citizen with a 6 month multiple entry visa for the uk. I am going to Newcastle via London and have 6 hour layover in the middle. Am I allowed to leave the airport for a few hours and return.
    Thanks

Taufique

47. Anna says:

Hi, I am a from Philippines. I have 7hrs layover time in Singapore. Dubai – SG – SG-Philippines. Do i have to book for a hotel for one night for immigration purposes?

• mel says:

Your question is not clear. What is the relationship between hotel booking and immigration?

If you wanted to stay in a hotel to rest during the 7hrs layover of course of you have to go out from the airport. Going out from the airport, you will pass through immigration. For Philippine passport holder, you do not need a visa to enter Singapore as part of the ASEAN countries. You are allowed to stay for 15 days I think like Hongkong.

48. Vic says:

Hi, We have relatives migrating to Saskatchewan and flying via Vancouver. During their layover in YVR, can they come out to the public area of the airport to meet us and hand over presents from home? Or, is there a way for them to send/ship the items from within Vancouver airport? TIA

Vic

49. Sonakshi says:

Hi,

I am travelling to London from New Delhi via Muscat. Halt in Muscat is for 13 hours. Do I need a Visa to go out of the airport during the layover. If yes, is there any possibility of Visa on Arrival or do I have to arrange it before I reach Muscat?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Much Thanks.

Sonakshi

• mel says:

Your country is not included in visa on arrival list of Oman. Therefore, if you wanted to go out from the airport you need a visa and you should arrange this before you travel. You have to apply to the nearest Omani embassy/consulate from your place.

50. Christina Gilpin says:

I’m traveling with USA thankfully dont need 1 but most wouldnt think you would leave airport on a 3hr layover but its gonna be in the same town as my mom who lives 10 minutes from airport so want to stop by.

51. Max says:

Hey! I’ll be having a 10-hour layover in Malaysia from London to the Philippines via Malaysia Airlines. I know I won’t be needing a visa to enter Malaysia but I’ve read and heard stories of Malaysian Immigration officers limiting people with Philippine passport and was wondering if this could cause me delays if I enter Malaysia as I am a PI passport holder. Any thoughts?

52. Tanya says:

Im going to Ireland and have a 6-8 hr layover in london. Im a USA citizen can I leave the airport to see london and grab something to eat there? and what should I do with my luggage? thanks.

53. Ilse Gerrits says:

Dear sir/madam,

I will be having a 6h layover in Dubai from my flight from Amsterdam to Hyderabad. I am a dutch citizen. Will I be able to leave the airport for this time?

Thanks in advance! Ilse Gerrits

• mel says:

Yes you can leave the airport. But six hours seem to be short for the hassle of going in and out of immigration check point. Also, you need to pay for your visa at the immigration desk which is I think not worth for few hours of stop over. I would say better to stay inside the airport.

54. Phillip says:

I have a 6hr layover in brussels travelling from canada to london. is that enough time to leave and see some of the city?

55. Tracyc says:

US passport holder–traveling to India, with short layovers in Dubai (going) and Amman (return). I won’t be leaving the airport…I don’t need a UAE or Jordanian visa just to change planes, right?

Thanks for the info! :)

56. johnny says:

Traveling to Thailand, have a 8 HR layover in Moscow, can I exit airport and return to the airport without a visa? I Do hold a US citizenship.

Thx for ur response

57. Tanya says:

Hi Johnny,
    All USA citizens going to Russia requrie a visa so no I dont think you can leave moscow airport during your layover.

58. Alan says:

We have a layover for 6 hours in Hawaii (en route to New York from Sydney) our luggage will be checked through to NY. Can we leave the airport for a couple of hours, we have our ESTA. If we checked in through Immigration in Hawaii would we have to do it again in NY.

59. Lauren says:

My friend is flying in from seattle and has a layover (4 hours) at JFK , el route to London. Is she permitted to leave the airport on the layover to hang out for a bit? Also how much time would she need once going back into JFK to pass through customs. Thank you!!

60. Arpit says:

Hi ,
    My family will be traveling from india for los angeles .
    - They are Indian citizen
    - They have valid US VISA
    - They have valid UK 6 months visitor VISA
    - They have 21 hours layover at london (LHR)
    - They will be flying in Virgin Atlantic
    Is it possible to come out of the airport for few hours and go back to catch next flight for LA ? They have UK visitor VISA . And they are traveling for first time at both the places (UK,USA). If they can come out , do they need to take their luggage with them ?

Please advise , appreciate your help !

Thanks,
    Arpit

Hi Arpit,

Technically, with the situation you have described your family would be allowed into the United Kingdom on the layover.

With a 21 hour layover, you would need to check with the airline, as your connection has to be less than a certain amount of time in order to allow bags to be checked through to your final destination.

If they have never entered the UK before, I would strongly suggest that they check their bags through to LA (if the airline will alow) and that they first visit the connections desk of the airline in the secure area in Heathrow BEFORE trying to clear immigration in Heathrow to obtain their LA boarding passes, as the UK Border Agent will without a doubt want to see it as well as their baggage receipt to prove that there is luggage going on to their final destination.

It is quite possible, that they will be denied entry to the UK, even with a visa, if they do not have this physically on them when they present themselves to the UK Border agent, and being denied will cause major challenges for their future travel plans, not only to the UK but to other countries, including trying to enter the USA in LA.

The reason for this is that when you have such a long layover, and no address in the UK (such as a hotel), and there are no prior UK entry stamps in your passport, the Border Agents tend to take a more stringent approach to a visa national.

By taking those simple steps, they should be allowed to enter the UK, and enjoy some time in London before their onward flight to LA.

Take care,

Max

• Arpit says:

Thank You Max for your response .
        I will tell them to check their luggage that way so they can get it at LA and will tell them to get LA’s boarding passes .

Thanks again .

61. Preethi says:

Hi
    I’m an Indian citizen. After a 5 year stint in Munich, Germany, we returned to India last year. Now, I’m traveling to the US for a short trip and have a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt. My schengen visa expiry date is Dec 20th 2012. My question is can I get out of the airport to meet friends in Frankfurt during my layover or can my friends come to meet me at the airport? Will be obliged to get a reply! Thanks, Preethi

• Max says:

Sure you can — if you have a valid Shengen, the usual advice applies, check your bags through to your final destination and be in possession of your onward boarding pass to show to the Immigration officer in Frankfurt.

62. aida ochoa says:

My 16 yr old daughter, a Mexican national, has a 5 hr lay over at Schiphol, can she leave the airport to take a 2 hr tour to the city? Mexican nationals are not require of a visa for the Schengen countries. She is flying KLM, does she need to reclaim her luggage at Schiphol to continue her flight to NYC, Thanks for any help!

63. Cara says:

I am flying from Manchester to Tegucigalpa, Honduras. I have a layover in Washington, DC. I have a US passport. Possible to leave the airport during the layover? Will I have to go through customs since i am a US resident?

• Max says:

Sure you can, make sure you have enough time though… and yes, you do actually have to go through immigration and customs, even if you are a US Citizen… Immigration is to determine your status (citizen, resident or alien) and grant you access based on that (as a US Citizen there is no issue with access), and customs is to deal with stuff you bring with you…

Whenever you enter the USA you need to clear customs with your luggage at your point of entry, even if you connect through to a destination outside of the USA afterward.

You will therefore need to get your bags off the belt, wander through the green or red lane as appropriate and drop your bag at your airlines connections belt (depending who you are flying with – usually just outside customs).

64. Jennifer says:

My daughter is traveling home from Ireland and has a 16 hour layover in Paris prior to the final destination in the US. She is trying to decide if her checked bags will make it all of the to the US or if they will be unloaded in Paris. They are trying to get out to sight see in Paris asap and don’t want to have to wait for bags and/or lug their bags all around Paris. Any ideas?

Hi Jennifer,

You don’t provide information on the airlines she is flying on, so I can only answer your question in generic terms.

I am assuming she is flying with Air France the whole way. If so, she should be able to check through her bags, as the total time from checking to departure in Paris is less than 24 hours and it is within one airline.

If however, she is taking a different airline (Aer Lingus etc.) to Paris and connecting to an AF flight, she would have a potential problem checking through her bags as there is probably not an interline agreement between the two airlines.

Fortunately, CDG is an Air France hub, so even if she cannot check her bags through, she can pass through immigration into France, collect her bags on the belt, and proceed right away to the checkin counters at CDG for AF and check in, drop her bags on the belt and get a boarding pass, leaving her free to visit the city without her bags.

I would suggest that if she intends to do this, she call Air France, or whomever she is flying with, and check how far ahead of the departure time they will accept bags.

I fly BA a lot, and they have on occasion told me they will not take my bags until 4 hours prior to departure from Vancouver in Canada. This usually does not apply at an airlines hub, but you should check.

Max

65. XOCHITL ROSALES says:

Alguien me podría decir si un ciudadano egipcio puede volar a Cánada en tránsito para conectar su vuelo y llegar a México, sin visa? Tendría problemas?

66. Suzanne says:

Hi folks,

Great website… flying from Dublin Ireland to Tokyo with Etihad and have an 18 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi. Anyone been to that airport or know if it’s possible to leave? I assume from experience that as its the same airline throughout they will look after my bags?
    Cheers :)

67. Matt says:

US Citizens flying to Bangkok via VIE from BOS then IAD. We have a 14 hour layover in VIE and were wondering if a) we would need to collect our bags (we are flying United BOS-IAD then Austrian IAD-VIE-BKK) and b) if we are allowed to leave the airport (seems like we should not have an issue)

Similarly we are flying from Singapore via Frankfurt to Boston with a 6 hour layover. Are we free to leave here too?

68. Priyank Shandilya says:

Hi,

I am an Indian Citizen travelling to Canada on a Canadian Student Visa(Category- SW1)from New Delhi via London Heathrow (LHR) Airport. The connection time @ LHR is 14 hours, is it possible to get a 24 hours visa at the LHR Airport for some sleep at a nearby hotel in London prior to boarding the final flight to Canada.

69. Tyler Clayton says:

I am flying from LAX to Florence, Italy, and I will be having a 10 hour layover in Amsterdam. I have my US passport book, and I was wondering two things:
    1) Do I have to have special permission to leave Amsterdam airport and see the city? Or will my passport give me access to do this?

2) Do I need to check to make sure my luggage will make it to Florence while I am at the Amsterdam airport? It’s switching airlines and this is why I ask.

70. Brie says:

I am an US citizen traveling with US passport from rome to zurich. I have a 20 hour layover. Am I able to leave the airport?

71. Jackie says:

I am flying into San Francisco Airport SFO soon and will have a 6 hour layover until I head off to Alaska. Does anyone have any experiece with dealing with San Francisco traffic and the airport? I am trying to decide if it would be worth leaving the airport for a little while to explore or if I am better off staying at SFO.

72. Deb says:

I am traveling to south Korea from Australia (on an australian passport) with about an 11 hour stopover in Osaka Japan, do I need a visa to leave the airport?

73. FJ Engine says:

I have a single booking from Frankfurt to Manila with a 10-hour layover at Hong Kong. Franfurt to Hong Kong via Lufthansa while Hong Kong to Manila via PAL. Will I be allowed to leave HK airport during this layover? Will my baggage be checked-in straight to its final destination, Manila? Or I can still have it checked out at HK during layover and then check in it again? My worry is that my baggage when checked in through its final destination might get lost because of long stopover.

74. Charles says:

I am traveling from Nassau Bahamas to JFK Newyork and have a 7 hour layover in Ft. Lauderdale i have a u.s visa and wants to know if i can leave the airport for a hour to do a little shopping?

75. Sherif says:

Hi,

I am an Egyptian travelling to Canada I have a 4 hrs layover in Heathrow airport do I need a visa to get to Heathrow airport? and do I need a visa to go out see London?

• Max says:

Yes, Egyptians are Visa nationals…

UK Visa’s are very expensive and 4 hours is too short really to visit London, so rather see if you can buy access to your airlines business class lounge in Heathrow, have a shower and eat something…

76. Michelle says:

I am a US citizen flying to Israel. I have a 7 hour layover at Heathrow and want to make sure I’m cool to go into the city and that I would have enough time to do so. My airlines is British Airways. How much time should I allow to get though customs, etc and then get back though security on the way back?

Hi Michelle,

7 hours can be enough at Heathrow, provided you are prepared to spring the 34 pounds for the Heathrow Express to take you into London and back. If you take the underground, you will spend most of your layover on the train.

Immigration lines at Heathrow is a crap-shoot. It is pretty much the busiest airport in the world (think Atlanta) and for some reason often the number of immigration officers on duty seems inversely proportional to the number of people waiting in line. I have stood there for an hour and a half while they only had 3 officers on duty, and other times there will be almost no line and 10 officers on duty.

Ask the immigration officer how much time you should allow to get your outbound flight, once you explain what you want to do in London, they are friendly and usually are happy to give you an estimate and I find their estimates are pretty accurate.

If you have your bags checked thru to your final destination, then you wont have to wait and store them.

Heathrow Express tickets are sold by vendors wearing blue uniforms carrying portable terminals, usually right at the exit from the secure area, if you miss one, follow the signs to the Heathrow express where they have automatic vending machines. Your US VISA/MasterCard/Amex will work for most of the machines, except the cash only ones.

I also suggest that you buy an off-peak travel card, in addition to the express ticket – about 8 or 9 pounds. That gives you complete flexibility to use all the bus and train service for a full day after I think 9 am in the morning, as and when you choose all for one flat fee. Very useful if you are trying to make your way to various points in the city to catch up with certain must see places.

Black Cabs, although convenient are super pricey.

Hope that helps a bit, and enjoy

• Dana says:

We used London Magical Tours http://www.londonmagicaltours.com last week on our layover at Heathrow thanks to the recommendations on this site, I couldnt recommend it enough, the service direct to our terminals at the airport was so convinient! We also only had 7 hours and were worried about our outbound flight but it worked out AMAZING, could never have seen so much. My boyfriend said he took the express train on a layover in London last year but that leaves you to the north of london (paddington?) and from there he still had to take a connection on the subway to get the famous sights.

We did the half day tour with transfers and got back with about 2 hours before the flight out which was plenty. We covered so much of London in the time, loved the personal experience and seeing London with an expert means you learn so much, well worth the investment.

If you can, the best tip at heathrow is to check in online for the flight in advance and have your boarding pass printed, our bags were sent direct from the US to Rome on this trip so we just had to go through security which was super quick at the British airways terminal. Hope this helps others!

77. hamada says:

hi i am holding egyptian passport , and residency of canada. i am travelling with turkish airlines to usa ( i have visa for usa )i have a layover in istanbul for 18 hours. Can i go out of the airport without turkish visa

78. Nico says:

Hi, I’m a Dutch citizen traveling to Fairbanks, Alaska. On my way back to Amsterdam I have a 7,5 hour layover in Seattle. Can I leave the airport for a few hours to do some sightseeing? I have valid esta.

Many thanks

79. Mary says:

I have a 8 hr layover in heathrow airport on 20aug. Would it be a good idea to visit London. Any ideas for must-dos?

80. Ron says:

Canadian couple flying to Italy (Air France) with a 12 hour layover in Paris. If we can leave the transit area,approximately how long will it take us both to get through customs and immigration at Charles De Gaulle?

Thanks!

81. Ludka says:

Hi! I am a Belarusian citizen and I’m flying from Canada to Russia with finnair and have a 10 hr layover in Helsinki. do I need a visa to leave the airport for a few hours? Thank you

82. ganaya says:

Hi! I am an American citizen flying from Baghdad to Washington D.C. I am on 2 different airlines – one from Baghdad to Beirut and another from Beirut to Frankfurt to Washington. I have extra bags and extra weight. I have 24 hour layover in Beirut and 17 hour layover in Frankfurt. Will I be able to get my bags if checked all the way through (need some extra space for random gifts from both countries)?

Also, will I have to pay extra weight (Baghdad to Beirut)/extra weight (Beirut to Washington D.C) fees for both airlines, or only the transatlantic airline?

Thanks!

83. Cookie says:

I’m an American citizen, flying AA. I have a layover at LHR on December 24 from USA to Dubai. Arriving LHR 6:50am, departing 8:35pm. My bags are checked through.

I’d assume I could leave the airport and hopefully customs won’t be too big of an issue. Can you enlighten me please.

84. Cookie says:

max, i’m sorry, I didn’t see the q/a from/to michelle. it pretty much answers my question. except i’m wondering how much the date (christmas eve, will have on travel and a time in the city.)

85. tara says:

Hi I am a Canadian flying to san Francisco, I depart from London, Ontario with a lay over in Toronto, Ontario then straight through to San Francisco. Where will I be going through customs?

Hi Tara,

I also live in London ON :-)

Connecting to the USA through Pearson you pass through US Immigration in Pearson before you leave…

Passport or Nexus is required and you don’t need to collect your bags in Toronto.

Max

86. Arghya says:

Hi
    I’m Indian citizen. I’m going to attend conference in Lisbon. I’ve valid short term single entry schengen visa. During my return I’ve 20 hours layover in Zurich. Can I go out of the airport in Zurich? Where do I need to go through passport control in Lisbon or in Zurich?

87. Jamesa says:

Hi! I’m an American student studying abroad in Germany in a few weeks. I will be leaving from Atlanta travelling to Stuttgart with a layover at London Heathrow. When applying for a passport do I need to also say I am travelling to the UK since I have a layover there? And also, if I do not have a visa (not even a German one, Schengen Area), can I leave the airport in London and explore a bit?

And one last question, can I travel between countries in the Schengen Area without a visa and only a U.S. passport valid for air travel directly to Germany?

• Max says:

When you apply for a US passport you generally do not need to tell them where you are going, in fact, I don’t even think the passport application form asks for that. Check the State Department Website for more information on the process and how soon you need to apply.

Regarding your other questions, as a US citizen travelling on a US passport you ordinarily do not need a visa for either the EU or the UK, as a tourist, however, you said that you are going to Germany to study — in which case you would need a student visa for Germany.

As for crossing land borders in the EU, there are no more border posts, so it is the same as crossing a state-line in the US, you may rarely be stopped, but a valid passport is all you need.

You should check with the institution you are studying with, they will generally have all the information you need to find out what visas if any you would need for Germany.

• Jamesa says:

But I am just doing an exchange program until December 22. Do I still need a visa then?

• Max says:

In my experience you probably do, however, you should check with the institution, you are doing the exchange with and the German Consulate in the USA, rather than this forum.

With this kind of thing, if you enter Germany without a VISA and you do in fact need one, you can create a problem for yourself well into the future, that will compromise you ability to enter many countries without a visa (remember a US Passport gives you visa free tourist travel to many places, and being denied at one will cause many countries to potentially revoke your visa waiver and require you to obtain a visa).

It is not worth taking a chance… checking with the institution you are doing the exchange with and the German Consulate is simple, and will prevent you making a costly mistake.

88. Ursula says:

hey, im australia, getting a flight from cancun to paris. there i will be getting a return flight from paris to sydney, planning on returning to paris in a few months. are there any visas i need on my way to australia? i do not plan to stay very long in paris, just enough time for my next flight.

Hi Ursuala,

If you are travelling on an Australian passport, you do not need a visa to enter one of the Shengen nations for the purposes of tourism. You should however keep proof of your onward ticket to Sydney with you so you can show the French immigration officer if he asks.

Max

89. boisterousbob says:

I don’t think this advice is valid.

I don’t think the airline cares in the least whether you left the airport or not.

Even if they did care, once you have a boarding pass for your second flight (obtained on landing at JFK) I can guarantee you that the airline has absolutely no way of knowing whether you left the airport or not.

90. IndianinFremont says:

Hi,

We (My husband and I) are Indian citizens with valid US work Visa. We plan on travelling to Mumbai(India) from San Fransisco(US) via Singapore by Singapore Airlines. We have a 8.5 hours layover at Singapore during the day. Is it possible to take the free sight-seeing tour provided by the Changi Airport without going through the hassle of getting a Singapore Visa?

91. Sam says:

hi,
    i have a layover in ICN airport for 24 hours before my next connecting flight, and i am from Singapore. Can I exit the transit area and re-check in through the custom for the next day?

92. Ronnie says:

Hello, I am American living in FRance under a French Student Visa. And I’m traveling to South Korea with a 15 hour layover in Shanghai Pu Dong Airport….Wanted to Know if I needed a VISA to leave the airport at Shanghai for the day and just come back???

Thanks

93. Bally says:

Hi Max and all!!

I am an Indian national and holding valid Canadian permanent residency. I will be returning back to Canada via Cathey Pacific flight as my connecting flight from NewDelhi-HongKong-Toronto with almost 10 hours layover at HongKong airport. Is it possible that instead of waiting inside transit area’s in airport I can go Outside airport to meet and spend few time with my relatives in Hong Kong and then come back to airport with in time?? Will the airlines or Immigration allow me that? Few years back I had also traveled to HongKong independently. So what do you think?? Thanks..

94. Julie says:

Hello,

I am a U.S. Citizen traveling to Seoul with a layover in Moscow. I will also be traveling to Thailand with a layover in China. Will I be able to leave either airport?

95. ronald brown says:

hello my name is ron brown. my wife is going to the USA for naturalization requirements.
    we are traveling with three boys 4,6,and 9.
    we have a china southern layover in Guangzhou. we arrive from Manila at 10pm, we really need some assistance to a overnight stay. God Bless

96. Nidhi says:

I have an Indian Passport and US Green Card. I have a few hours layover at Heathrow Airport on my way to and back from India. I read that I do not need an airside Visa due to that, but am not allowed to get out of the terminal either. However, if I want to meet some friends in London, can I call them to the airport and meet them there? Where are we both allowed to be?

Hi Nidhi,

You will not be able to enter the UK without a valid UK visa, and your friends will not be able to enter the secure area unless they are flying somewhere from the same terminal, so I am afraid you will probably not be able to meet…

97. Aubs322 says:

Hi there,
    US citizen traveling to Cork, Ireland. My flight options are either a layover in Heathrow for 7 hours or Paris for 6.5.

Do I have enough time to leave either of these airports? If so any suggestions for a quick visit?

This is my first time travelling internationally so ANY tips at all would be appreciated (like how do I have my luggage connect through, do I need a visa in UK or Paris, what to expect in customs)

Thank you in advance!!

• Max says:

I cannot really comment on Paris, as I havent connected through there in a while, however, I frequently have a 7 hour plus connection in Heathrow, and I usually do head into the city, to grab some lunch at a pub and do some general sight-seeing, but you MUST take the Heathrow express if you do that, which is pretty pricey, it has just gone up in price again and is now 34 pounds return — thats over $50. If you take the underground you will just make it to the city, spend about an hour there and have to turn around again.

One the way back, you need to allow about 90 minutes before your flight to get through airport security, however, do check with the immigration officer when you enter the country, I find they usually know if there is any delays getting back into the airport and can give you a good estimate. They are usually quite helpful.

The usual rules apply though, make sure you have your onward board pass in your hands BEFORE you leave the airport, and have a copy of your ticket showing your onward connection to Ireland before you try and enter the country.

• Max says:

Oh, regarding your visa question — US Citizens travelling on US Passports do not need a visa for tourist purposes for either the UK or the Shengen states (which includes France). Ireland is not part of the Shengen states although it is in the EU, but you do not need a visa for Ireland for tourist purposes for up to 90 days.

Just be sure your passport validity is at least 6 months or so and you have some open pages for stamps.

98. U D says:

I am an Indian citizen with Indian passport. I Have a valid US H1B visa expiring in 2014. I am planning to travel to Indian through virgin atlantic and on the route from USA to India will have a 10 hr stop over at Heathrow.My luggage will mostly be checked upto India. Firstly I would like to know if I need the airside transit visa if I just stay on airport. There is 1 travel agent whom I contacted for tickets who insists that with more than 7 hours stayover airside visa is required, but I know of some people in similar situation as me did not need transit visa at LHR.
    Secondly if I plan to leave airport, how will that work. Will really appreciate a reply.

Thank you.

99. a says:

hi i have a filipino passport and needs to travel from hethrow airport terminal three to terminal five. will only be staying there for two hours. do i needs a landside visa for this?

100. Sunder Pandey says:

Hi I am an US citizen travelling to Nepal from US via Delhi I have a 10 hours transit at airport. I do not want to go out from airport. just for waiting 10 hours at Delhi airport do I need a Indian visa?. as I said my final destination is Nepal. I do not out from the airport. I heard a lot that even transit staying at airport need a transit visa. I asked with Indian embassy in US they said that need a visa. If I need a Indian visa I do not want to travel via Delhi it is not worth. Do you have any suggestion? it would be highly appreciated.

• Max says:

YOu do not need a transit visa if you are staying airside in Delhi airport in the INTERNATIONAL terminal.

You can find out more information on VFS Website (the guys the Indian government outsource their visas too)

101. tina says:

hi im a phillipine passport holder.. im going to casa balanca.. my itenirary is.. hongkong-london-paris-casa blanca.. do i need transit visa in london and paris even if it will take less than 24 hours between connecting flights? thanks

• a says:

hi tina, are u flying with brit airways? if so u dont need trans visa. i just arrived at home from british airways makati and they confirmed that filipinos dont need visa as long as you stay at the airport.

102. Anastasia says:

Hi,

I am a Russian citizen and I will be travelling from St. Petersburg to Dallas in the USA.
    I will have a long over-night stop at Heathrow in London before I catch my next flight to Dallas.
    Am I allowed to leave Heathrow if I have Russian passport with US visa and the ticket, obviuosly? Or will I have to stay in the airport only for all the long time..?

Thanks for your advice!

103. Dawn Spencer says:

Traveling to Sierra Leone (Freetown). I will be changing planes in Casa Blanca. Do I need a visa for the switch over 6-10 hours before i board in Casa Blanca. I am not a citizen of the USA but I have my Green Card. I am a Jamaican. Thank you.

104. Laila says:

Hello, I have a flight from Dubai to America and I have a very long layover in London, I think its about 23 hours. Who can I call while I am still in Dubai to make sure that I will be able to leave the airport and stay at a hotel near by in London and tour around?? The airline? The British Embassy?? Oh, I forgot to mention that I am a US Citizen :)

Thank you! I’d appreciate a fast reply.

• Max says:

If you are a US Citizen and you are travelling on a valid US passport you do not need to call anyone for a layover in London. You can enter the UK visa free and stay at a hotel of your choice.

With a 23 hour layover, luggage may be a challenge as I don’t know if you can check your bags through to the US, however, if you cannot you just need to collect them at Heathrow and then if you do not want to take them to your hotel, put them in one of the baggage storage facilities that litter the airport.

The airline will tell you when you check in at Dubai if they can check your bags through to the US, assuming thats what you want to do.

105. Michael says:

Looks like I’ll have a bit over 24 hour layover in London in a few weeks. Any suggestions? First timer there but not really wanting to spend the short time I’ll have seeing Big Ben or Westminster Abbey…districts for shopping, cuisine, drinking, etc. would be more my cup of tea. Thanks in advance…

106. betty says:

I am a chinese citizen, and have a return flight from france to the usa via london heathrow (i am a us green card holder). i have an almost 24 hour layover at london.

am i able to leave the airport? i have a valid uk family visitor visa? (as my lovely hubby is british).

107. Sonia says:

Hi!
    I’m an Indian citizen with US permanent resident card. I will be traveling to India come November but I have a 20hr layover at London heathrow airport. Is it possible for me to leave the airport and spend the night at a nearby hotel? Also do I need to apply for a uk transit visa to do this? Thanks for the help!

108. Brandon says:

Hi I have a 10 hour layover at Narita airport in Japan on Nov 13th does anyone know if I will have to get a visa of any kind to leave the airport. My flight is from hanoi vn to canada with layover in Japan and San Francisco I am a Canadian passport holder….. Any advice would be much apreciated

109. Damary says:

I am a USA Citizen with passport, going to Rome, Italy with a 23 hrs layover in Moscow, Russia… Can I leave the airport? I will like to do some sightseeing… Please reply…. THANK YOU.

Damary

110. julie says:

i am traveling from london to darwin, i have a 19hr layover in changi airport, can i leave the airport,

i have a british passport and australia visa.

please advise,

thanks julie

111. Bina says:

hi, Im travelling from USA to Johannesburg and I have a 11hrs layover in zurich. Can i leave for sight seeing. My son and boyfriend have USA passport so assume they can leave.

112. ken says:

I am travelling to the mideast by way of London (BA then El Al) with a 7 hour layover. My son lives in Lindon and I would like to drop off some of his things by meeting him in the airport. Will the airline allow me to only check bag as far as London eventhough I am going onward. Onward flight is on a different airline

113. Sana says:

Hi, I’m a Canadian Citizen and have a 7 hours layover in Paris (6:30 am – 2:00pm); i want to go to see Eiffel Tower- it seems to open at 9:30 am. Is there any metro direct to that place or bus from airport and if there are ; how much would it cost?

I’m positiove that i can leave the airport on my way to New Delhi flying by AirFrance.

Thanks in advance.

114. Paul Merison says:

I am a UK citizen, about to have a 10 hour layover at Beijing. Assuming airline says I can leave the airport, I imagine I would need a visa to leave and take a quick tour of town? Anyone else done this and can comment? Loving the cheap airfares, but 10 hours in an airport does not feel like fun.

• DJJitta says:

Same here but from NL. Have a layover of almost 24hrs. Did you get any usefell response or did you find any useful info about it?

115. Blaise says:

Hi, I am a Burundian citizen with a US student visa. I will be travelling back to the US from Burundi with a 12 hour layover in CDG Paris. Do I need some form of visa (like Schengen visa) to visite Paris during the layover?
    Thanks, for the help.

116. syed says:

hi v r British citizens on a trip to Dubai, v have a long lay over in Istanbul, r v allowed to go out to see Istanbul
    thanks

117. shallie jimenez says:

Hi I am a Filipino, and since its my first time to travel to Israel, i just want to ask if i need a transit visa in Zurich going to Israel?.

thanks a lot.

118. shallie jimenez says:

I am A Filipino and I am travelling from Manila to Israel via Zurich, my question is do i need a transit visa when landing to Zurich? am I allowed to go out during the lay over?. I hope u can help me on this.

Thanks a lot.

119. Minikar says:

Hi,I Am us citizen.i have us passport. I have 12hours layover in Japan .is it possible i can go out from airport without tourist visa?

• Jt says:

You can not exit Amsterdam airport. Canadian visa is not valid in Amsterdam. You need to get a schengen visa.

• Jt says:

Yes you can exit Japan airport without visa for 90days. But you have to clear immigration first and put “intransit” on the embarkation card for your address in japan

120. Joseph says:

Hi, I have a Chinese passport and a US green card. I’m flying to China from Boston but have a layover in LAX. Is it possible to get out of the airport?

Thanks

121. Mike says:

Hi,
    I am a India national and have a few hours transit in Amsterdam airport. I have a valid visa from Canada. Am I allowed to use the time in between to enter into the city and come back later again for my flight?

Please Advise! Urgent!

Thanks a lot!!!

122. DR>SAIBAL RAKHIT says:

I am an Indian, with a 10 years USA visa.On my second trip to New York, I will Fly to LIMA via Miami, and during return I have 11 hours in the morning at Miami Airport, as my connecting American Airlines is at late evening,Can I go out and see South Beach/Lincoln road..etc?

• Max says:

If you have a valid US visa you can enter the USA (I am assuming you have a B1/B2 Visa — if something else you should check with the state department).

• DR.SAIBAL RAKHIT says:

Thanks Max, I have a valid USA (B1/B2) visa till 2020. After visiting NEW YORK AND WASHINGTON I plan to go to MACHHU PICHU and LIMA (PERU) via MIAMI IN AA. (1).Do I require Yellow fever vaccination,? I don’t need as per Indian/Peru Govt visa rule…What is USA Govt rule… (2) Can I go out in Miami as my connecting AA flight has 11 hrs gap? Thanks in advance…DR.SAIBAL RAKHIT

123. Jeffrey says:

I am a US citizen traveling to Singapore with a 23 hour layover in Seoul. I fly into Seoul on Asiana and out on Singapore Air, but the tickets were booked on United. United says I won’t be able to leave the airport during my layover; Asiana says I will, but my bags won’t be checked through. How can I find out who’s right?

124. Ryan says:

I am a UK citizen (EU passport) and will be flying from Hong Kong to the UK but have a 15 hour layover in Amsterdam.

Can someone tell me if i will be able to leave the airport as this is a long time to wait otherwise.

Thanks for any help provided! :D

125. Sharon says:

Hi

I loved this article. I am a South African Citizen, with a US Greencard, I have an 18.hr layoverin dubai on my way to south africa on vacation. May I leave the airport and roam around dubai or do I need a visa?

126. SAGAR says:

Hi,
    I am travelling from India to Muncih and I have a schengen visa. There is a layover of 11 hrs in Amsterdam. Can I go out and spend some time in exploring the city???

127. Zarah says:

Hi, I am a UK passport holder and my return flight from Santorini to London Heathrow has a 7hrs stopover in Athens before the connecting flight from Athens to London. I am assuming that I should be able to spend the 7hrs exploring in Athens during the stopover?
    I am just wanting some sort of confirmation that I can do this…thank you.

128. Maribel says:

Hello we are having a 15 hour layover in Beijing on our way to Bangkok. We are US citizens. Does anyone know if we need a visa for China if less than a day? and any tips on where we can go? We are there during day! Please help, thank you.

129. Suneet says:

Hi,

I am travelling from London to New Delhi via Dubai. I booked the flight specifically because it has a 21 hour lay over in Dubai. Will I have to collect my luggage on the way out of Dubai Airport or can I just check it straight through to Delhi?

I am a UK passport holder – do I need a visa to enter the UAE?

What would be the best things I could do whilst in Dubai?

Quick responses will be appreciated!!

130. Gemma says:

Hi I have a 17hr stopover in kuala lumpar on my return visit from austrailia, I’m a British citizen can I leave the transit area if I go trough customs? Also do I need a separate visa?
    Many thanks

131. Shikhar says:

Hi , I am Indian citizen and i am going US. I have a lay over of 7 hrs at Munich airport. I have a friend in Munich who is german national. Is there any way we can meet? Since i do not have a tourist Visa, i am not aware if i can leave the airport or is there a way we can meet at airport.

132. Tom M says:

Hi Max and all!

I’m a Brit living in London, flying to Peru in the summer. On the way back I’m visiting family in San Francisco for a week.

Flying Lima to LAX on day 1 and then LAX to SFO the morning of day 2, both legs bought through AA but leg 1 operated by LAN Peru. My question is this – if I want to leave the airport and stay with a friend overnight in Santa Monica would I be able to get my luggage even if the flights was bought as one booking?

Also, would this have an impact on how I complete my ESTA?

Many thanks,
    Tom

133. Kaly says:

Hi,
    I’m an Indian Passport holder,currently working in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia.
    I’m planning to travel from Hyderabad,India to Kuala Lumpur via Singapore on Tiger Airways.The layover is for 6 hrs.Do I need any transit/Entry visa to Singapore?

134. Laura says:

Hi all,

I am travelling from Ireland (via Amsterdam) to New York. I have an 8 hour lay over in Amsterdam. Is it possible for me to leave Amsterdam airport for a few hours during my layover?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

• Max says:

If you are travelling on your Irish passport there will be no problems – as you are an EU Citizen.

8 hours is relatively short, so make sure you know where you are wanting to go, and check your bags through to New York.

135. sereana says:

hi,
    I am a Canadian citizen, and have a 21 hours layover in Paris, France coming back from vacation in Thailand. Do you think I will have an issues going to Paris in that time?

• Max says:

I am also Canadian and have done this a number of times in France.

There should be no problem from a French immigration perspective if you are travelling on your Canadian passport.

Usual rules apply, check your bags through to Canada, and make sure that you have a copy of your onward ticket to show the French immigration officer if he wants to see it.

Also check with the officer how much time you should allow to get back to your flight and through security, they can usually give you a pretty good estimate and are happy to help.

136. UHD says:

I am an Indian national working in the US on a H1B visa.I will be visiting India in a few days and passing via Heathrow where I have a layover of about 10 hours. I have a H1B visa stamped on my passport valid till 2014 and hence I believe I do not need a transit visa. I came across some forum where 2 people had mentioned that they were allowed to go out of the Heathrow airport with a “free permit” since they had long stayovers too (around 10 – 14 hrs each). I wanted to see if anybody else has tried it and it this works.

• Max says:

You will need a UK visa to clear customs and enter the UK as an Indian National regardless of any US Visa’s (even if you held a green card) – US immigration status is not relevant to UK immigration.

In fact, it would appear that you would also need an airside transfer visa for what you are wanting to do.

Please check with the UK Border Agency BEFORE you travel:

UK Border Agency – Do you need a visa

• UHD says:

Thank you for the reply Max. I have looked at the UK Border Agency, through the link you mentioned, it says I would need a airside visa. However there is this page then

which says

‘Transit without visa’ concession – DATV exemptions
        If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this exemption:

you must arrive and depart by air; and
        your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and
        you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa if necessary

I think I meet these requirements.

• Max says:

I am afraid that to be eligible for the DATV system you must be a citizen of a country that participates in the DATV program.

One that link you posted, read the first bullet point under the line “You can transit the UK airside without a visa if:”

It states “you are a national of a country that is not in the list below”.

Then scroll to the bottom of the page, and you will see the list entitled “Countries covered by the DATV system” and you will notice by expanding that list that INdia IS on the list and the requirement is to NOT be on the list.

Anyway, this forum is not really for immigration/visa advice so call the high commission in India. UK Visa’s in India are handled by the UK’s Agent VFS Global.

Visit their website http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/ and find their call center number and call them.

VFS or the UK Consulate is the only reliable, authoritative, place to get VISA advice.

It’s better to be safe than sorry, else your trip could turn into the kind of nightmare that you will not forget in a hurry, and you could get banned from entry to the UK for a very long time if you are found to not have a VISA when you need one.

137. UHD says:

I think this site does not allow posting direct links of websites, so I cant post a direct link to the forum I mentioned above.

138. Merve says:

Hi

URGENT! I am a Jordanian living in Germany and I have a student visa.
    My jordanian friend is flying from Jordan to the US only with US visa. and has a 6 hour transit in France, is it possible for me to see him? Do I have to fly to the same airport ? Can he leave the airport so I could go by train? Or impossible to meet ?

Quick answer much appreciated !

139. Jean says:

Im from Manila to Vegas , i will have 10 hrs layover to Hawaii via Hawaiian Airline,
    Can i leave the airport?

140. Merushka says:

Hi, I have a South African Passport stamped with permanent UK residence. I have a 15 hour stop over in Rome en route to Tunisia. Will I be able to leave the airport, and can I obtain a sticker type visa at the airport if I need one to leave the airport?

141. Annie says:

Hi, I am a british citizen and will be travelling to Rio de Janiero from Heathrow airport. However I have a 12 hour stopover in Washington Dulles airport.

Would this be enough time to exit the airport and do some brief sightseeing. I already have the visa waiver form.

Thanks.

142. Lucy says:

We’re traveling from Australia to Europe via Dubai. We have 8 hours in dubai. I’ve heard it’s easy to catch the metro to the old souq. We’re traveling Qantas/code shared Emirates, on Australian/British/Canadian passports. Do we need a visa to leave the airport? Cost? Can we store our carry on somewhere at the airport before heading into town?

Would love to have a look around and hopefully come for longer another time.

thank you for any tips you can offer.

143. Nicky says:

Hi I am traveling to Hawaii from London with an 8 hrs stop over in San Francisco.

I hold a European Passport and have ESTA. Can I leave the airport in SF? Will I have to collect luggage in SF and check in again for flight from SF to Hawaii? al routes with United

Please let me know

144. Jennifer says:

Can someone help me real quick? I’m a US citizen and have the option of choosing a 5 hour layover in PTY- Panama City; thinking of leaving the airport (before I continue to Bogota). Anyone know if this is feasible???

145. Veronica says:

Hi I’m an argentinian citizen returning to Buenos Aires from Fort lauderdale Fl. on a flight that has a 12 hrs layover in Chicago. I was wandering if I can leave the airport to spend the day in the city. Thanks in advance for any info!

146. Glenda says:

I’m a USA Citizen and I will be in the airport for 7 hours on a layover with four children. Any suggestions about things to do? Places to go?

147. Nancy says:

We are returning home on an international flight and have a layover in a city (phl) that is closer to us than the final stop (Newark). Since we have to get our baggage when we deboard in Phl anyway due to customs, can we just go on our merry way, or do we need to let the airline know we will not be going on the final leg of the trip?

148. Sn says:

Help! I’m booking a flight from Chicago to Tel Aviv with a 14 hour layover in Rome. One ticketing agent said we couldn’t leave the airport, another said we could. Who is right? Do we need a visa?

149. Sagar says:

Hello Max
    We a family of Canadian citizens (2 parents and 2 kids) returning to Canada from India via Heathrow. We have a 8 hour layover in Heathrow. Can we leave Terminal 5 and go to Terminal 3/4 to a loounge or hotel for a quick nap before we return to T5 to catch our next leg of journey? It seems T5 has no lounges for people traveling Coach !!!
    We already visited UK on our inbound jounrney to India and have stamps from UK immigration in our passports with 6 month visitor visa on arrival given at that time (last month). Would that help?

regards
    S

• Max says:

If you have a Canadian passports and onward tickets there will be no issue entering the UK. Once you leave the terminal though you are not likely to find a lounge or so on.

Depending on the length of your layover, you may just want to spend some time in a hotel — I believe their is a short-stay hotel in T4 called Yotel.

Use the Heathrow express to move between terminals – its is free. Make sure you allow enough time for the rigours of checkin and security at T5 — not the fastest airport to get through

150. David says:

A great informative article! I have a trip coming up in the Fall of the year and am writing to acquire information. I have a 19.5 hour layover in Rome on my way from Athens to New York (I have a US Passport/No visa required for visit to Greece.)Can one exit the airport and have a walkabout around the city and obtain hotel accommodations that night before flying out the next morning?

Thanks

151. C Miller says:

I will be returning from Manila and have a 10 layover In Japan. They have “day” hotels you can check into which is so great. From Japan to Hawaii, than from hawaii to Seattle, I have a 12hr layover. Does Honolulu airport have Day Hotels IN the aiport? I worry if I leave the airport i will get lost and not make it back in time. Are there tours at the airport?

152. Jenny Kang says:

Hello, I’m a U.S. Citizen and have a 20 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany.

Would I be able to leave the airport and come back in alright or do I need special documents beforehand?

• Max says:

No, you would just have to have an onward ticket, check your bags thru if you can. US Citizens do not generally need visas for the EU.

153. Jenny Kang says:

I also have a lay over in doha, qatar for 3 hours… wanted to see something in that city real quick. Do I need a visa to do so or is U.S. citizenship/passport enough? :)

154. craig henry says:

if you leave Jamaica stopping for a 19hr overnight layover in Miami via Curacao,will you get to stay in a hotel? and do you have to go tru fingerprinting hassle? even if you Dont want to enter U.S soil,plus dont have a visa for that anyway,just in transit to mexico thats all…

• Max says:

The CBP fingerprint everyone (10 printing is the phrase they use) . When entering a US airport, you have to clear customs, this means that if you are from a visa country, you would need to have a valid US visa (or transit visa) regardless of weather you plan to stay in the airport or not.

You don’t state your nationality, however, check the the state-department website to see if you need a visa.

155. Angie Brookes says:

Hi there,
    My husband and I are travelling from the uk to las vegas, on the return journey we have a 13 hour layover arriving in newark arriving at 6.30am, I’m hoping after security out of and into, we will have at least 6 hours to hopefully see a little piece of nyc.
    Will we be allowed to leave the airport to site see and will leaving 3 hours either side be long enough for check in and security?
    Many thanks

• Rachel says:

US check in is usually quicker than the UK, never usually needing more than 2 hours. NYC is about half an hour on the train or taxi so you would definitely have time. Double-check with the airline and make sure you fill out the ESTA form before leaving!

156. Rachel says:

This website is great and so useful. A quick piece of useful information from someone with vast experience of transatlantic flights and London/Paris airports:

- If you are coming into the US and connecting onto another flight, you have to pick up your bags on port of entry and check them to your final destination, so it may not always be possible to leave bags there
    - London Heathrow is a 40 minute subway ride from the nice South Kensington area in London. It is very doable for layovers of 5 hours +
    - Paris Charles de Gaulle is not an airport you would ever want to spend much time at. The train takes 40-50 minutes to get into central Paris but isn’t extremely reliable. Again fine for layovers of 6 hours +

Anyone have any tips on iceland’s main airport and if it is worth booking a flight with a long layover there to see the city?

157. DK says:

I am a Canadian Citizen flying from Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) to Nairobi (NBO). I have a 17-hour layover in Amsterdam & I’m wondering if I’m allowed to leave the airport?

I’d like to get some fresh air & maybe sight see a little.

• Max says:

Yes, you may… Canadians have visa free travel to the European Union. Check your bags through to Nairobi so you do not need the hassle of lugging them around the airport and re-checking them.

158. Jayc91 says:

Hi, I’m a UK citizen wondering if I need a visa in order to leave Dubai International Airport and go to explore for the day? My layover is 20 hours so I don’t really want to be stuck inside the airport all day! I assume my luggage will be automatically transferred from leg 1 of my flight to my final destination? I will be flying Emirates to Shanghai Pu Dong. Thanks!

159. Anja says:

german citizen , leaving from San Francisco, USA to Copenhagen, Denmark, 15 hour layover in Toronto, Canada. Is it possible for me to leave the airport and explore Toronto?

• Max says:

Yes, in fact, anyone flying into Toronto and connecting to the US has to clear customs in Canada, collect their bags, place them back on the connections belt, and then once you are ready to fly to the US, you pass through US immigration in Toronto — the US bound flight then lands at a domestic terminal in the states as the passengers have already been clear before getting onto the flight.

Something to bear in mind about Pearson International — the airport is not in Toronto, but actually in Mississauga, which is sort of to the South West of the city. There is not simple way to get to the city — so you should consider just taking a Taxi for about $40 one way — there are shuttles — not sure how much they are.

15 Hours is more than enough to travel to the city. Allow about 2 hours at the airport before your US bound flight, as it can get rather slow through security and US immigration.

160. ArnoldTP says:

I am flying from Zurich to Venice and have a 6 hour layover in Barcelona. Can I leave the airport and go to a restaurant nearby?

161. Priaa says:

Hi I m an Indian, do I need visa to leave the HeAthrow airport to visit
    My friend during my20 hours layover, I m flying to Richmond USA .

162. Vladimir says:

Hi! Im treveling from Kiev Ukraine to New York via Rome Italy, if no delays, i should land in Rome by Saturday 7:15am, my next flight is leaving by 12:50pm, i was wandering, if i can leave the airport, take a Taxicab and drive to Collesium to take some pictures real quick, and get back to airport, i calculated that it would take like 40 min of driving from Airport to Collisium, so if i land 7:15am and lets say i would leave the airport by 8:30am plus 40-45 min of driving, (saturday morning should be no traffic) i should get there by 9:20am approximately, stay there till like 10:20am (1 hour should be enough to take pictures of one my favorite architectures in the world) than catch the taxi again and go back to air port, another 40 min of driving, so by 11-11:30am i should be back to the airport, and technicaly i would have hour and a half to go thru security and get to the plane, i have US Passport, so i dont need no Visa to exit the airport, what do u think? Is it possible for me to make this happen like that? Thank you!

163. chloe says:

hello. I am a UK passport holder, if I have a layover in Toronto of almost 23 hours, am I allowed to leave the airport to explore the city in that time?

164. phuong says:

I am going to Belgium and connect flight from London. I am layover at Heathrow London airport for 3 hours. However, i would like to check out and stay in London for sightseen city for 2 days and catch another flight to Belgium. Am I allowed to stay in London to explore the city?

165. Ryan says:

I have 6 hours between flights from glasgow to Amsterdam, then amsterdam to sweden, and i allowed to leave the airport, Scottish citizen, im part of the EU so i dont think it should be a problem

• Max says:

This should be fine, just remember 6 hours is not a lot of time for an international connection – so you may not be able to stray too far from the airport, perhaps enough for a restaurant somewhere…

166. Sandi says:

Hello,
    I’m traveling back from Israel to the US – US Passport holder – through Moscow. I have a 16 hour layover there, overnight, in Moscow Vnukovo Airport.

I’m not sure I want to bother going out, but I would like to find a place to rest or sleep. I have a feeling I need a visa to exit the airport.

Is anyone familiar with this airport? Are there places to go and sleep on long layovers?

Thanks for any help!!

167. peter churchill says:

Hi all, im travelling with my swedish wife and 2 kids to Rhodas Greece with 12 hour stopover att wien airport, can we leave the airport, whats the story.

Peter Churchill