by Layover Guide Contributor, Karine Nissim
My husband made a bold statement today, while we sat in our Dubai hotel sipping kiwi, mango, orange, and pineapple mocktails. He said, that there was no other city like Dubai. Certainly there are other desert cities, beach cities, flashy cities, but after listening to his argument I agreed. Where else can you ski indoors, swim with dolphins, dive with sharks, hobnob with the internationally rich and famous, build and build on such an extraordinary scale, ride a camel on the beach, go on a desert safari, and of course shop ‘til you kaplotz??
This is my top ten list of things to do on Dubai holidays:
1. Pretend to be rich by going for Friday Brunch at some of the awesome hotel resorts like Madinat Jumeirah’s Al Qasr’s restaurant. Such a scene!
2. Jump out of a plane over Palm Island – An artificial Island in the shape of a Palm Tree…because, well it’s a pretty awesome photo op.
3. Go to the biggest mall in the world, watch the highest fountain show in the world, walk to the tallest building in the world, to ride the fastest elevator in the world to have a drink in the highest cocktail lounge in the world. At.Mosphere at the Burj Khalifa where mini-sliders cost $80 and liquid “gold” pours out of the faucet in the restroom. As it turns out, the “gold” is also anti-bacterial.
4. Ski indoors…because it’s INDOORS!
5. Buy an island on the artificial archipelago “The World” for like 7 billion dollars. I hear Guam is still available. Or at least, just take a gander at them.
7. Go to Atlantis’s aquarium, swim with dolphins at Dolphin Bay, and go to awesome water park Aquaventure.
8. Souq it out! Fabric, gold, spices and souvenirs galore. There’s nothing like haggling with Indians, for Malaysian goods, next to British tourists, over pink camels in the United Emirates. Seriously. The only thing stopping me from coming back with a Genie in a bottle thingy of Shaq-like proportions is customs and an aversion to lifting heavy things.
9. Desert Safari, camels on the beach, and sheesha smokage – because when in Rome…act like a tourist.
What did I miss? What’s on your list of top ten things to do in Dubai?
Category: Middle East