London Heathrow Layover

Nov 13, 2013 | Comments 27

Stuck on a London Heathrow layover at the Heathrow International airport? London’s Heathrow airport is one of the busiest airports in the world and is located roughly 15 miles from London’s city center, making it an accessible destination for those who are stuck on long layovers. If you’re trying to decide whether you can leave the airport on your Heathrow layover, click here for useful tips.

London Eye In London England 1024x682 London Heathrow Layover

If you’re stuck inside the airport during your London layover, Heathrow provides a number of services and activities that can help your layover become a short vacation in itself. Here are some of the various shops and facilities available, listed by terminal, to keep you busy during your wait. To aid with shopping, passengers can hire Personal Shopping Consultants, who can be distinguished by their green uniforms (to book a shopping consultant, call 0870 850 2825 (UK) or +44 (0)121 410 5105). In addition to duty free and regular shopping, there are also many restaurants ranging from fine dining to quick snacks to choose from during your Heathrow layover. Here are the various bars and restaurants options at the airport.

CLICK HERE for London Layover Tours (straight from the airport)!

A number of executive lounges are available at the Heathrow airport (at Terminal 1,3,4,5). The lounges offer a range of beers, complimentary Wi-Fi and other standard facilities. You can book these lounges from here. The price starts from £17.95. In case you need special care assistance, contact +44 (0)844 335 1801 for general advice and information.

The Molton Brown Travel Spa is located in British Airways Terminal 1 and Terminal 4 Departures Lounges at Heathrow Airport. The spa offers a variety of services including massages, hydrotherapy showers, circulation and reflex therapies, and is an ideal way to relax during your Heathrow layover.

If you are looking to exchange the currency, Foreign Exchanges and ATMs are available at all the terminals (click here for their locations). In addition, the airport has many prayer rooms available including Catholic, Free Church, Anglican, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim and Sikh chaplains. They can all be contacted through the airport information desks within the terminals and you can find more information here.

For passengers who arrive at night or are looking to relax, the Hilton London Heathrow Airport hotel is located across the covered walkway linked to Terminal Four, and the Sofitel London Heathrow is also connected via a covered walkway to Terminal Five. In addition there are many hotels near the Heathrow airport. Click here for London hotels at varying price points.

CLICK HERE for London’s Best Restaurants!

A number of companies offer Layover Tours that can pick you up directly from the airport, hassle free, take you where you’re interested in visiting and return you to the airport in time to catch your connecting flight. Find out more information on these London Layover Tours here.

If you’re looking to ditch your luggage during your Heathrow layover, Left Luggage facilities are available at all the terminals. The Left Luggage service charges £4 per item for 24 hours. For their hours of operation and location, click here.

Taxis are available outside the airport for quick transport, and there are also car rental companies onsite. Direct booking can be found here. Heathrow airport is also well connected with public transportation. While taking the London Underground is the cheapest way to get into London, it can take up to an hour each way. If you’re strapped for time, the London Heathrow Express train can get you into London for as little as 15 minutes. Click here to figure out the best way to travel into the city during your London layover.

LayoverGuide.com’s Suggestions Of Things To Do On A Heathrow Layover:

Sightseeing Bus10 World%2BTravel%2B005 London Heathrow Layover

The hop-on, hop-off bus gives a commentary of the sights as you pass them. Tickets can be purchased right on the bus or online. You can “hop on” at Paddington station, and “hop off” wherever you choose. It swings back around to Paddington, if that’s all the time you have, to get back to the airport.

Tower of London

At The To12 World%2BTravel%2B008 London Heathrow Layoverwer of London, you’ll find torture exhibits as well as the famous Crown Jewels which including 530 carat Star at the Jewel House. Beefeaters, who are the walking tour guides, lead the hour-long tours every hour until 3:30p.m.

Buckingham Palace

Buckingham Palace, home to the British monarch, is another favorite sightseeing spot for those with only a short time in London. Victoria, Green Park and Hyde Park Corner are the closest Tube stations. Also, you can catch the changing of the guard, but should check ahead for the schedule as it does not happen every day.

Westminster Abbey and Big Ben

Exit the tube at the Westminster stop. You will first see Big Be14 World%2BTravel%2B006 London Heathrow Layovern and further down the street Westminster Abbey, where Chaucer, Samuel Johnson, Tennyson, Browning, and Dickens are all buried here.

Cabinet War Rooms

Close to the Abby, you can see the actual underground bunker Winston Churchill used during World War II. Everything there from the wall maps, to Churchill’s cot are authentic.

Windsor Castle

Take a taxi or bus 77 from Heathrow to Windsor Castle in about 40 minutes. The 900-year-old castle is an official residence of The Queen and the largest occupied castle in the world.

Thorpe Palace

Thorpe Park is London’s most popular attractions and theme parks. It opened as a water park in 1970 however more thrill rides were added later. The park is around 5.1 miles from the airport and thus, close for a quick trip during a London layover.

None of these activities interest you? Here’s a list of more suggestions of places you can visit during London layover at the Heathrow airport.

Have a suggestion for a London Heathrow layover? Leave a comment below!

Share in top social networks!

Filed Under: EuropeFeaturedHeathrowlayoverLondontoursUnited Kingdom

Tags: airportconnecting flightsdelaysEuropeHeathrowlayoverLondonstopoverthings to doUnited Kingdom

RSSComments (27)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. I'm happy that Ive visited your blog about layover tips actually i can considered it a mini vacation itself
    thanks for the tips.

2. Anonymous says:

I was recently stuck in Heathrow (24hrs)and went to Winsor 25 min really preety green town full character…fab day.Walked around in morning let lines to amazing casle die down visit at lunchtime (need good 2 hours)Then hired pushbike and cycled along Thames and over to Eton college .If you have been travelling for a while and need some openspaces and greenery way to go.

3. anschel o Weiss says:

I would like to utilize the executive lounge at Heathrow in terminal 5 during my layover on my return flight to Miami Florida{Feb 27-28]. How can I make this reservation? are the executive lounges open overnight?

4. David says:

Excuse the naive question, but all this information means its okay for me to leave the terminal? I’m an American. Do I need to get a visa or do anything special? I want to meet a friend who would come to visit me at the airport.
    Thanks

• Abigale says:

Hello David, no when traveling from the US you do not need a visa to leave the airport. I have done so many times, when you go to england from the us you can stay in the country without a visa for multiple months you do not need an esta like when traveling into the us from europ which then lasts 60 days. Europien countries are much easier if you are there for a Holiday. Meet your friends have a nice day in the city and enjoy yourself London is a great City even if i prefer the smaller towns all around.

5. Lucy says:

I have a 14 hour layover November 10 2012, any ideas where I could go and what to see and how much it would cost?

• Rahul says:

You may spend quality time at the airport itself as it has much to offer..

Or else, if time permits and you do not need visa to leave the airport, you may go out to the city.. You may get the tube to visit London Eye, etc. and come back to the airport in 10 hours..

6. saggi says:

Does UK provide transit visa, i am an Indian passport holder and have a long layover (around 14 hours) in heathrow on my way to India from US

• Rahul says:

Yes, as per my knowledge there is a short visa of a few hours/ couple of days. You should check online for formalities though.

• Lucy says:

Are you going to Amritsar from Heathrow at 9:30pm (Air India)? I am on that flight and also have a 14 hour lay over. I’m looking for someone to go into London with me and take in the sights. Maybe we could hook up?

7. elizabeth says:

im flying from ktm nepal to u.s and i have layover at karachi pak airport for 12 hours.im u.s citizen but have no visa.is it possible for me to go and rest in hotel look around city….plz some1 can help me

8. Adrian says:

I have a twelve hour layover on 20sep. Was thinking of going gambling or a tour. Wondering if it is worth leaving the airport. Let me know what you think, up for an adventure.

9. sid says:

I have layover of 14 hours in London Heathrow airport on jan 11th on a flight from india to canada, am i allowed to spend the night inside the airport.

10. Ash says:

I will be travelling from US to India and I already have H1B visa stamped on my passport. Because of the long layover I am thinking of taking the London tour. Do I need transit visa to leave the airport?

11. Ash says:

needless to say, my layover is at Heathrow airport..

12. srivi says:

Hi,
    I have a layover of 5 30 hours and i want to meet a friend in heathrow airport.I am travelling from India to US.Is it possible for me to leave the terminal and meet ? or should i be taking any special permissions.
    Thanks.

13. Manasi says:

My sister has a layover at heathrow for 3 hours and i want to meet her at the airport.
    i know she will have to go thru security again..do you think its feasible given the time (3 hrs)?
    Also will she need a visa to just come out of the secure area? she will not leave the airport. she has an Indian passport and she is travelling to San fransisco with a H1B visa.

Thanks in advance!!!

14. Daniella says:

Recently back from our trip to India and I have to say this website was a great resource. It gave us plenty of ideas and I would like to share our experience for others who have layovers at London’s heathrow airport. Our flight schedule meant that we had two layovers in London. The first was 12 hours on the way to India from NYC and the second was 10 hours for the flight back.

As a family of 5 we decided to try to visit the city by ourselves on the first layover. We booked train tickets into London with the idea of taking a bus tour of the city highlights. After finally leaving the airport (its huge), we spent 2 hours finally getting on the train that left us at Paddinton, somewhere in the north of London. We then had to take the subway (the tube to Londoners) into the center of town. It was packed and not fun with 3 children. By the time we finally got onto the bus it had started to rain. The kids wanted to go on the open top deck which was not possible so we ended up seated downstairs, wet and looking out of fogged up windows. We got off the bus and took the subway back to Paddinton before catching the train back to the airport. In short it was a disaster.

Given the first experience, we had been dreading the return layover. I was however thankfully able to convince my husband to book us a tour directly from the airport.

The second time we booked with London Magical Tours http://www.londonmagicaltours.com as recommended on here and cannot say enough good things. It was quite simple the best decision we made during the whole trip. Our driver met us in the arrivals area just after our flight and took us into London in a beautiful air conditioned minivan. There we met our tour guide Catherine, who was an absolute joy. The children completely fell in love with her, she had the most wonderful stories and we got to see and understand so much of the city’s amazing history. The funny thing is that we had been hesitant to book a tour direct from Heathrow originally because we thought it would be cheaper being in London. Well after the train tickets (35 pounds each), subway tickets (10 pounds) and the cost of the bus tour, the first layover cost the 5 of us over 350 pounds. The private tour with London Magical Tours (it was only for us) cost us less than that and all with no stress. We have the best photos and now want to return with more time. If you have a layover in London, this is the ONLY way to go, we absolutely loved it.

The best tip for anyone flying through London is to have your bags sent straight to the destination from home. Our bags went straight to India and it was one less thing to worry about, especially with children. Heathrow Airport is enormous!

15. Paula says:

I have a layover here for about 5 hours, and this is the first time I’ll be in Europe, so I want to explore a little bit. Is it plausible for me to leave the airport? What are some places I can go to that are close by?

• Daniella says:

If its only 5 hours that you have in total from landing to take off, then after going through customs and needing to be back for security, that probably leaves you with 2.5 hours max to sightsee. Although on our second trip we toured London with London Magical Tours, our guide pointed Windsor castle from the airport so that must be pretty close and could probably work best for you if you only have a few hours. If its your first time in London and with time being so limited, I would definitely recommend an organised layover tour to make the most of it. Just dont think of taking the subway into town if you only have a couple of hours, you’ll spend all the time traveling. We did on our first layover and ended up lost, it was a mess!

16. Rosanie says:

hello everyone!

I am looking for a kind person who can share to me his/her ideas about my concern.

I am a Filipino. I will be flying on Feb 5,2013 from Philippines to Nigeria in a connecting flight. my second layover will be in London Heathrow. I have a total layover of 18 hours from arrival to departure in the said airport.

I was in London 2 years ago, i had student visa in UK before and stayed for a year there with clean visa record until i went back home.

Is it possible that i go out from the airport and explore the places i miss in London and take some pictures of it so that I can enjoy my layover time? do i need to get any permits to do so?

Looking forward for your reply on my post.

Thank you so much!

17. Basha says:

Hi everyone! I have friend who has a layover of 8hours in heathrow airport, is it possible if I could meet and spend time with him there inside the airport?
    Thanks

18. Try this too – Heathrow Express offers up a 15 minute journey right into Paddington Station, so if you have a few hours, you can see a few sights in central London and then hop back on the train back to the airport in time to checkin for your flight.

19. Brett says:

Nine of us will be laid over in Heathrow for 8 hours. We’re all American citizens. Any advice for how to best utilize that time? Ideally, we’d like to leave the airport and see a few places. Thanks!