Layover In Guangzhou, China

| December 12, 2014 | 8 Comments

Stuck on a Guangzhou layover at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN) in China? The airport is a main hub of China Southern Airlines and is located roughly 18 miles from downtown Guangzhou, which makes the city an accessible destination for those on long layovers. If you’re trying to determine whether you can leave the airport during your Guangzhou layover, click here for useful tips.
Financial district in Guangzhou ChinaAs of 2007, passengers who are in Guangzhou for less than 24 hours, do not need a visa as long as they have a booked seat on a connecting flight. For additional visa inquiries, you can check the widget on the right side of the site to check visa requirements.

If you’re stuck in the airport during your Guangzhou layover, the airport has many facilities and services including business centers in both the A and B Departure areas. In addition, there is shopping and restaurants (Food Street is located by Gates 17 and 18 in the Departure Hall), a medical service, a post office, as well as banking facilities and currency exchange. There are also childcare rooms in the departure areas on the third floor.

If you’re looking to drop off your bags while you explore during your China layover, there are Left Luggage facilities open from 6:00am to 10:00pm.

If you arrive at night or are looking for a place to rest, the Pullman Baiyun Airport Guangzhou is located inside the airport and offers restaurants, bars, tennis courts, a fitness center and spa, and more. In addition if you are looking for a comprehensive list of hotels nearby in Guangzhou of varying price points, click here and for hotels specifically near the airport, click here.

There are many transportation options from the airport into Guangzhou. If you don’t speak Chinese, taxis are recommended and it suggested that you have someone write the destination on a piece of paper to prevent mix-ups. Taxis charge CNY7 for the first 2.3 kilometers (1.4 miles), and CNY2.6 for additional kilometers. Additional transportation options include subway, bus, train, water bus, shuttles and even ship. For additional transportation information, click here. Private transfers can also be arranged.

Layover Guide’s Suggestions Of Things To Do On A Guangzhou Layover:

Tours Galore

There are many Guangzhou tours to choose from including everything from bus and walking tours to plane rides and private tours.

Xiangjiang Safari Park

The Guangzhou Xiangjiang Safari Park is the largest animal park in Asia with more 400 species of wild animals including more than 70 white tigers (1/3 the population of these animals).

Shamian Island

For a nice afternoon stopping in shops, eating, colonial architecture and people watching, head out to Shamian Island.

Bright Filial Piety Temple

The Bright Filial Piety Temple is considered to be one of China’s grandest temples, dating back over 17000 years. In addition to the Temple, make sure to check out the grounds where you’ll find additional stunning buildings and relics.

White Cloud Mountain

About 10 miles from Ghangzhou you’ll find the beautiful natural setting of White Cloud Mountain. At about 382 meters high, White Cloud Mountain is 10 square miles of over 30 peaks. It’s a great place to get some air, do some hiking, and check out some gardens and natural scenery.

Liurong Temple

The Liurong Temple or Temple of the Six Banyan Trees is a well known Buddhist site in Guangzhou. Check out the three large Buddha statues at the pagoda.

Have a suggestion for a Guangzhou, China layover? Leave a comment below!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Asia, China, layover, Layover Guides, things to do

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Jem says:

Do you need a Visa for China if staying at the airport hotel?

2. Jake says:

This article is a bit unclear on leaving the airport…

If you’re in Guangzhou for under 24 hours, with a connecting flight ticket/seat/etc, can you leave the airport without a visa?

I’m looking at a cheap trans-pacific flight that has a monstrous layover of about 16hrs in Guangzhou. I’ll go insane if I have to stay in the airport that long.

If anyone has done this recently, I’d love to hear your insight!

3. Angela says:

I’m in the same situation as Jake, looking at a trans-pacific flight that has a 16 hr layover here.

I went to Guangzhou recently for a holiday and I was waiting for 90 minutes for my flight home and I was already bored. The shops and facilities in the airport are wide ranging, yes, but if you’re not wanting to do shopping, have no laptop, only want to carry one book… you will get bored fast.

I think immigration would be able to tell you whether you can leave the airport when you go through inspection.

4. Oliver says:

Go to the Immigration of China website to get the answer. The Visa is necessary the category is G Visa….

G Chinese Visa

In China, visa applications can be made for this category when a candidate will be entering Chinese territory for a very brief period en route to another destination. This category is effectively an airport transit visa. Candidates must be able to demonstrate valid entry clearance for their ultimate destination to get this Chinese visa.

5. Irene says:

I have a 5 hour layover in Guangzhou and I’d like to meet up with family living there at the airport for a quick meal. Does anyone know if this is possible? I’m flying Air France (but with China Southern as the carrier). I won’t have any way to contact relatives if I find out that I won’t be able to meet up with them…

6. sylviaroppongi6-chme says:

i had the same situation last year in Beijing. You can get a temporary visa as long as you have a ticket. I left the airport for about 6 hours.

7. Natassha says:

Hi sylviaroppongi6-chme, how’d you apply for the temporary visa? did you do it in the airport? thanks

And another question, during the stopover did you need to get your bag from carousel and check in again on the next flight?

8. Cherry says:

Hi, I am transitting in CAN for less than 24 hours and I need your help to answer the following questions:

1. Is the 24-hour TWOV applicable for all nationalities? I hold a Philippine passport.

2. I will transit 21hr 10min in CAN (arriving 14:35PM), then fly to SVO, where it will have a 1hr 40 min technical stop (I will not be able to leave the airplane) in WUH (leaving WUHAN on 15:10PM the next day). Am I still eligible for the 24-hour TWOV?

Thank you so much.